Gained in Translation
Come celebrate “SG Translation Month” this September!
TranslateSingapore marks its third year as we transform September into “SG Translation Month”. Featuring more than 20 programmes spread over four weekends, this month-long festival celebrates our rich linguistic diversity and all things intercultural. The festival will come to a close on 30 Sep, otherwise known as International Translation Day.
Based on the theme of what can be “Gained in Translation”, the festival’s highlights include:
- the launch of The Select Centre’s online literary magazine, Canopy, which showcases translations, essays, and other materials relating to language and culture.
- our “Comics and Translation” Forum, which takes an unprecedented look at how the popular medium of comics can further intercultural dialogue and understanding;
- the “A Tale of Two Languages” lectures, in which world-renowned language expert David Moser and award-winning writer Mohamed Latiff Mohamed offer critical insights into the Chinese and Malay languages respectively;
- a dramatised reading of The Blue Forest a local children’s picture book, in three languages – Chinese, Malay, and Tamil;
- and many other highlights, such as comics translation workshops; the back-by-popular-demand Let’s Learn Our National Language class by writer/playwright Alfian Sa’at; and more!
We look forward to welcoming you to TranslateSingapore 2017!
You can download the brochure here
LECTURE I: The Past, Present and Future of Mandarin
LECTURE II: Language Matters: For Creativity and Dignity – A Writer’s Perspective (Pentingnya Bahasa: Demi Kreativiti dan Maruah – Sudut Pandang Seorang Penulis)
Why Translation Matters In Comics
Venturing Abroad: Singapore Comics Translated For Overseas
Translating Comics: The Translators Speak
Cross-Cultural Comics From Southeast Asia
Out Of SEA: Getting Comics Into The Global Market
In The Crosshairs: Using Comics to Tackle Social Issues
Image vs Text: Which comes first?
Editing and Translating Comics
Comics Portfolio Review
Comics Translation Workshops
Comics Drawing Workshops for Kids
Film screening: ZsaZsa Zaturnnah Ze Moveeh
The Blue Forest: Translation Workshops for Children
The Blue Forest: A Dramatised Reading in Three Languages
Comics Drawing Workshops For Kids
Learning Second Language in the Age of Technology
Let’s Learn Our National Language
Comic Translation Workshops: An Introduction
Living in Babel Book Launch
Challenges of Translating Malay Poetry: A Roundtable Discussion
Book Launch: : Kid Comic Strips
Book Launch: Indonesia 1998
Book Launch: Burmese Translation of Malay Sketches
Book Launch:Faithless Translations